Statements and Press Releases
Friends and comrades, all the people of Indonesia, are you aware of the escalating violence that has been taking place in West Papua over the last few days. Terror, violence and intimidation have become the daily face of life for the Papuan people.
Today, May 1, coinciding with the commemoration of International Labour Day, the Greater Jakarta Joint Labour Secretariat (Sekber Buruh) again took to the streets.
In the home and in the streets, women are being raped. The government and the parliament are ignoring cases of rape and are complicit in sexual violence against women.
PT Freeport Indonesia, a subsidiary of Freeport McMoran Cooper and Gold – of which 90.64 percent of the shares are owned by Freeport CEO James R. Moffet – is the largest mining company in the world.
We fully support the strike by PT Freeport Indonesia workers for better wages and conditions.
[The following essay by Surya Anta was written in response to a series of questions, I emailed him yesterday, August 4, 2011 - Max Lane]
‘I am here to give solidarity, not as a provocateur’
Surya Anta, a leading member of People’s Liberation Party (formerly KPRM-PRD), was arrested by the Metro Jaya regional police in Jakarta at 12noon on August 1.
Let us extend our very warm regards to your 13th congress. We hope this year’s congress will strengthen PSM’s struggle politically, organizationally and ideologically at national and international level.
Starting from November 5 2010, the national SBY-Boediono government decided that the Merapi volcano eruption disaster would be led by the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB).
Zely Ariane – If there was an easier way to struggle for their rights, the workers from the PT. Kanefusa Indonesia Federation of Indonesian Metal Workers Union (FSPMI) would probably have tried it.
The newly-formed union SPK-PPBI (Security Workers Union, aligned with the United Movement of Labour Indonesia) is calling for solidarity from unions and individuals.
The attacks by the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) against the two-week International Q! Film Festival which opened in Jakarta on September 24 is a violation of basic human rights and threatens democracy in Indonesia.
- Oppose US intervention in Venezuela
- Oppose US military bases in Columbia
- Support the fight against US imperialism in Latin America
Over the eight years of Venezuela Bolivarian Revolution, it has never been free of intervention, harassment
- Stop the slaughter of the Palestine people
- Fight Zionism and Israel’s political apartheid
- Justice and freedom for Palestine now!
Israel’s attack on a convey of six ships transporting humanitarian assistance for Gaza, the Freedom Flotilla,
Let us unite to overthrow the pro-imperialist government of SBY-Boediono and the rotten political elite. Replace them with a United Government of the Poor!
- Disband the TNI’s territorial command
- Liberate Indonesia from capitalism
- Arrest and try Marsinah’s killers
Marsinah was a woman worker who was militant and courageous.
- Allow the ILGA conference in Surabaya to go ahead
- Fight all forms of discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
- Recognise the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to obtain education, healthcare, gainful emp
- Women must leave the home
- Fight capitalism, struggle for prosperity and equality
- Replace the SBY-Boediono capitalist government
- Abandon the rotten political elite
- Unite, for a united government of the poor
Women are not
A new alliance or united front organization was formed in January in Indonesia to fight the current neo-liberal policies of the Indonesian government. Its leaflet calling for a January 28 protest action lists 17 organisations.